It was on the 19 th of March 1888, that many young and enthusiastic cricketers, called up a meeting under the chairmanship of Mr. H.L Wendt (Senior Puisne Judge) to form a Cricket Club. It was unanimously decided that the Club be called ‘Nondescripts Cricket Club’ and as the name indicated it was to cater to all sportsmen, irrespective of caste, creed, politics, or nationality - a tradition set then, which has been carried out over the past 113 years, encouraging unity through sports in a muti-racial and multi-ethnic country such as ours. At that time, the Colts were the only other Ceylonese Cricket Club in existence. The Colombo Cricket Club, the Sports Club and the Up-Country Clubs catered exclusively to Europeans and the Malay Cricket Club was then for the Malays. The Attorney General at the time, was elected the first President of the NCC and served from 1888-1891 with Mr. F. Dornhurst K.G. as its first Vice President. Mr. James Van Langenberg (later Solicitor General) was the first Hony. Secretary with Mr. Herman Loos being its first Hony. Treasurer. Mr Loos went on to later serving as President.
The first NCC team consisted of :
* Dr. Gerald de Saram L. Thomasz
* E.H Joseph Dr. H. De Saram
* Herman Loos Dr. V.C Wright
* E.H Joseph Dr. H. De Saram
* F. Bevan B.W Bawa
* E. H Prins C. Wilkins
* J. S De Saram
The first home of the NCC was at Victoria Park, where the present Town Hall stands, and this was its address for 22 years. In 1910, the Government leased out the present premises to the Club, which has remained ‘home’ to the NCC up to date. The marshy land was converted into a first-class cricket ground and a commodious pavilion was built. The chief architects of the pavilion were Dr. John Rockwood, Messrs W.G McCarthy, James Van Langenberg, Herman Loos and many others. The first cricket match played by the Club was against a garrison XI – an all-European team of officers, and other ranks of army volunteers. This match was played on 25 th July 1888 at Echelon Square, which is no longer a sports ground but houses two five-star hotels, the Hilton and Galadari. The first important match played by the NCC was against the CCC at Galle Face, where the European Club was victorious. The biggest rivals of the NCC in those early years before the turn of the century, were the Colts and they first met to compete in 1891.
Throughout the years, right from the inception, there have been several distinguished names in the Club, including the early Presidents, beginning with Sir Samuel Grenier, Hon. Dr. P.D Anthonisz, James Vanlangenberg, Herman Loos, Col. E. H Joseph, Dr. V. Vanlangenberg, and F. J De Saram. One of its finest Presidents was Dr. L.O Weinman in 1940. Thereafter the NCC had Carl T Van Geyzel, Dr. N.M Perera, Dr. J. H Sproule, Alex R. N de Fonseka, Dr. N. D Wijesekera, Lalith Athulathmudali, D. Lam Seneviratne, Chanaka de Silva, Leslie Hewage, Camilus Abeygunawardene, Lucky Fernadez, etc. In this galaxy of names of my era, I must single out Chanaka de Silva, as of the greatest we had, who in a big way, made it possible for the Club to reach the grandeur that we enjoy today. It was his dream to have a swimming pool. It was the evergreen Leo Wijesinghe and Sam de Silva, who were Secretary and Treasurer respectively to Alex de Fonseka, that turned around the NCC and Leo still continues to serve the Club, overlooking the Office on behalf of the Committee.
In its centenary year, M.H.A Khaffar was Secretary and Leslie Hewage the Treasurer. In later years Basil Noyahr and Nimal Ranchigoda, took over the reins of Secretary. There are many others who have done yeoman services to the Club.
Over the years since the Nondescripts continued to maintain their present home at No. 29, Maitland Place, whose grounds have been regarded as one of the best and most picturesque in the country. Ground Secretaries such as Dr. Hamish Sproule and K.M. T Perera have, at various times, played vital roles. The Club has been blessed with the services of some of the best curators in the island. I.H. Junaid served for a very long time in the early days and was an institution. After him was I. Algasamy, who carried on the excellent work, and is now one of the Cricket Board’s consultants on the maintenance of pitches and looks after the practice pitches at the NCC, used by the national players.
In those early years, among the internationals recorded, a one-day match between New Zealand and Ceylon was played at Maitland Place. In the later years, Zimbabwe (before full membership), New Zealand and India have played pre-tour games and the Pakistan ‘A’ and West Indies ‘A’ have also played ‘A’ team test matches at the NCC. The ground was also used as a venue for the ‘Under 19’ World Cup in 1999 and was highly complimented. With the Sri Lankan National Players using the specially laid pitches at the NCC for their practices, it has earned the reputation of being the training center of the national team. The indoor facilities which are run by the Sri Lanka Cricket Foundation in the NCC premises, has provided facilities for practice and training complete.
The Nondescripts contribution to all Ceylon/Ceylon /Sri Lanka and other representative teams has been phenomenal throughout the years of the Club’s existence.
The NCC members have, apart from the cricketers themselves, shown leadership and drive in bringing the country’s cricket to where it is today. Dr. N.M Perera was one of the Presidents of the Board of Control for cricket in Sri Lanka. The current Chairman and Deputy Chairman of the Interim Committee, V.P Malalasekera and Michael Tissera respectively were NCC members. Malcolm Spittel, Hilary Marcelline, Ranjit Fernando, Bertram Perera, Leo Wijesinghe, Amal Silva, Dr. H.I.K Fernando, Vernon Prins, Dilrukshan Tillekeratne and the writer, served on the Cricket Board’s executive and other committees, from time to time.
The NCC School of Cricket, which has now completed over 20 years in existence, under Director of Coaching, Lionel Mendis, is considered the best of its kind in the country. Meticulously run by Lionel, it is a nursery, not only for young cricketers, but also a training ground for gentlemen, and has a long waiting list for entry at all times. It not only grooms young cricketers for the NCC but also fashions players for other clubs and schools. The manner in which it is conducted, has received bouquets from all quarters, and has produced many players who have won national honours. The School of Cricket hosted the reputed Jawarlal Nehru Trust Team from India recently and reciprocated the visit by touring India. It is hoped that these exchanges which cultivate friendship and fellowship amongst Sri Lankan and Indian boys will continue.
Cricket in the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s was conducted by Cricket Secretaries, Walter Wijesuriya, Gamini Jayasuriya and Dilrukshan Tillekeratne, who showed great enthusiasm and desire in maintaining the high cricketing standards through times which were not easy.
The following Members of the NCC have made their mark in overseas first-class cricket at various times, over the years :
*Pat McCarthy (Western Australia)
*Stanley Jayasinghe (Leicestershire)
*Clive Inman (Leicestershire)
*Dan Piachaud (Oxford & Hampshire)
*Malcolm Francke (Queensland & 12 th Man Australia)
*Aravinda de Silva (Kent)
It must not be forgotten to mention the contributions made by those who have acted as scorers for the Club over the years. Names like Claude de Silva and Asoka Chandrasekera stand out for their loyalty and meticulous work. These gentlemen were also the official scorers for the Cricket Board in international matches.
The NCC have also got a proud record in Rugger and Hockey. The Nondescripts were the first Ceylonese Club to play Rugger in Sri Lanka and always held their own on the rugby field. In fact, it was from the NCC Rugger XV. That the Ceylonese Rugby and Football Club (CR &FC) was formed and continue to be regarded as sister Clubs with the same spirit of camaraderie existing between our two clubs. After the early days, Rugger had a revival under coaches Ago Paiva and Newton Marathalingam and Capt. Priya Edirisinghe. Names like Christie Gomes, Vernon Caldera, M.H.A Khaffar, Dan Rutnam and Aaron were the livewires, but sadly after a short spell, the game was stopped at the NCC.
A swimming pool at the NCC in keeping with the leading Clubs in the country, was the dream of President Chanaka de Silva. At a time when funds were not readily forthcoming, this seemed to be only a pipe dream, but not with the determination of Chanaka, who raised the required funds, and a superb facility was opened, in record time, just at the beginning of the term of President Leslie Hewage. The Treasurers of the Club at this time, Sam de Silva and Chamath Kulasinghe and also Fazil Dole, the first Swimming Secretary, also played a big role. In addition to Chanaka’s efforts and those of the Hony Secretary at the time, Leslie Hewage, the Swimming Pool would not have been a reality without the efforts of Vice- President Architect Elmo de Silva. Elmo spared no pains to see that one of the best 25- meter pools was constructed at an unbelievably low cost. The Swimming Pool at the NCC which has had Coaches such as Tara and Julian Bolling, two of Sri Lanka’s greatest Swimmers, actively involved in coaching, is probably the most sought-after location amongst budding swimmers in the country.
Tennis was introduced to the NCC by the President Dr. J.H Sproule in 1969. Dr. N.M Perera, Jimmy Vanderkoen, K.M.T Perera, ‘TURF’ Weerasinghe, Ben Leonidas, Lam Seneviratne, Neil Gallaher, Gamini Seneviratne followed by T.B.A Ratnayake and Christo Werkmeister were the early flag bearers of NCC tennis and popularized the game at the Club. In 1972 a second court was laid, and the game flourished with a good membership. Since the early 1970’s NCC have participated in the annual all-island Inter-Club Tennis tournament and over the years have won six titles in the various divisions.
The NCC also conducted a school of Tennis for a few years under John Rajapakse and S. Kandasamy. To commemorate the NCC centenary in 1988, the Club conducted its first and only open ranking tournament. Sri Lanka’s leading men, women and novices participated in this landmark event which was a great success.
NCC’s contribution to Sri Lankan Tennis has been immense with Past President, Lam Seneviratne and also John Rajapakse holding the position of President of the Sri Lanka Tennis Association and rendering yeoman service to the game. Lam and John were the first Sri Lankans to be awarded the white badge and qualify as chair Umpires of the International Tennis Federation. They officiated at the Asian Games in Hiroshima in 1994.
Billiards too has always been a sphere of activity at the Club for many years and past members like C. Chellaraj, Lolo da Silva, Sam de Silva, Rohan de Zoysa and more recently, Ranjan Paiva, Paul Fonseka (who in addition played an active role in social activities), together with Camillus Abeygoonewardena, have kept this going. Unfortunately, today, due to the lack of space, the billiard table has been stored away, and it is hoped that very soon, the sport will resume at the Nondescripts.
Bridge was a popular pastime for a time and those like Allan and ‘Gem’ De Saa Bandaranayake, K.L.M Perera, Lolo da Silva, Dr. Clarence de Saram were regulars that kept the tables busy in the 1950’s, 1960’s and 1970’s.
When we look at those have kept the Club Office going in the early days. One must not forget Mr. E.M.E. Edirisinghe, who served with loyalty and manned it almost single handedly on a part time basis.